Thursday, May 29, 2008

17 Months Old...and loving every minute of it!


Help I've fallen and I can't get out!
Shh! Boys sleeping in their beds
See! It's easy to climb up here. Just do it like this.

I love the rocking dog. (Hey does anyone see Mark in this little face besides me?See picture below)


No, I'm not the "helicopter" parent hovering over my child to make sure no one hits him and he doesn't hit back, or to cater to his every whim. But yes I am the hovering parent when it comes to staying on top of my child's where abouts. I'm on to Cole like the chopper crew filming OJ's get-away. We went to the park today with Gage's preschool group and Cole was all over that play ground like he owned the place. It really makes life interesting to have a child so fearless. From approaching a strange dog, to climbing the stairs to the highest slide and going down it, to walking up the slide instead of sliding down, and attempting to follow suit and jump down four feet to the play ground floor from on top of the equipment, Cole is two arm fulls. At the swimming pool we have to be really careful of the same kind of adventuring. Early this month Cole escaped my cluthches in the locker room and when I got to him he was an inch from the edge of the pool bending down to reach for the water. He has no fear of water either and I'm just so grateful that he DOES seem to show anxiety toward things that are HOT. We've been working on staying away from the oven ever since two weeks ago when he walked up and opened the door while something was in it cooking, and we are seeing a lot of progress on not going into the street. We have purposefully started playing with the boys in the front yard since Cole's mobility, curiosity, and lucidness make escaping into the front yard futile without an understanding of NOT going into the street. Oh man, some days I wonder if we'll both live through this.


Along with his natural thirst for adventuring, Cole is really loving! He LOVES babies, animals, and people. He adores Gage and considers himself an equal in ALL aspects.


Although he has always had great conversational skills babbling, signing, body language etc...His talking skills are improving He says: ham, cheese, up, hi, bye, night night, Dad, Mom, Gage, ball, yuck, bath, water, and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting. He mimics intonation and fluxuation beautifully (it's very funny) and copies all of us in daily routine things. He helps put clothes and towels away. He likes to draw, sing, and dance. He can whistle! (I'll post the video next)along with making many other sound effects: animal, car, and just plain wierd noises. He started sleeping in a big boy bed, and now shares a room with Gage. The boys are doing well to share. Cole's transition to the bed is probably still not complete although last night he did not get out of bed at all once put in. It has been four nights since we started and night one took 61 trips back to bed between 8:20 and 10:30 pm. (I wish I could convey the comedy of that night. Lans and I took shifts. One would put Cole back in bed while the other would get laughing rights as long as it didn't provoke Cole's silliness). Night two took almost the same amount. Night three we put him back in the crib due to a complicated day and last night he went to bed like a charm. He also napped today with no problem.


He is a content little guy and really really loves his milk. He goes through a gallon of whole milk (by himself) in four days.
Lastly he is really growing up and sometimes he reminds me of my brother Mark in looks and my brother Kyle in actions. He is a joy!









2 comments:

Courtney said...

Whoa, I didn't realize how much Grant looks like Mark until seeing that photo. That's crazy. I always thought he looked like a Baum. I'm sad we won't see you at the wedding : (

Vicki said...

Wow Amy I feel for you!! Mason is very very similar to Cole, he is fearless too!! The playground, swimming pool, escaping, the oven, been there still doing that. Has Cole figured out how to climb up the cabnets to get to the upper ones? Or better yet climbed up to get to the top of the fridge? I know what you're feeling too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think I forgot how my other boys were, or that I'm just getting old and tired.
Your boys are so handsome and very cute to watch. :)