Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Silver Lining

Almost a year ago in March I had the impression we should start trying for our third child that summer. I was not baby hungry nor seeking inspiration on the topic. It was far from my mind, my hands were full, my life was full, my desires to pursue some other interests were strong. The closest I had come to thinking about the next baby was to see how I felt once Cole turned three. The impression was dismissed but came back almost monthly.

Having a child is just not something to take lightly and I wasn't. AND I wasn't willing to consider the idea since I could not wrap my head around having another one so close together. I had all my reasons and good one's at that; especially the fact that the pregnancy and the whole year following is hard. I'm not myself till that baby is weened which takes the whole year plus a few months after their birth. So I felt like Cole had just barely gotten to have his "real" Mother when these promptings came. I felt not only defensive for myself but for him and the rest of my family.

In mid June I finally got up the guts to act on these impressions. I called the doctor, fully intending on a lengthy wait to get in (which I would not argue). But interestingly they had an opening the very next day. I was given my directions and perscriptions and couldn't believe I was even doing this.

October arrived and so did a very vivid dream. In the dream various friends and family member's were asking where "Dane" was. I had not a clue what they were talking about but sat there unmoved and unconcerned, like so often happens in dreams, until Lans came walking out holding a little boy (oneish) in his arms. I stared at the unrecognizable boy trying to figure out why that wasn't Cole. Then it hit me that it was Dane. Suddenly a rush of realizaton hit me, "Oh," I thought, "That's Dane. We had another child, another boy." And then I woke up in such a way that the emotions from the dream were lingering and I thought, like so many of us do, "Huh, wierd dream," and went on with my life. A few days later I found out I was pregnant.
So I don't discount dreams entirely but I also don't try and read into them much. If God appeared to me in a dream I'd feel a little differently but you know I just chalk it up to the dreams you just have sometimes that are vivid and strange.

November, I was name hunting on the internet, mostly wanting to find out the meaning of my favorite girl's name, Vivian Jane which btw, not only sounds good to my ears, but the meanings and origins are beautiful and so appropriate for what I think a girl should be all about, that I remember my funny dream and type in the name Dane. Of course I'm thinking it's just going to mean "man from Denmark" and that won't do. All my kid's names have to have a meaning. But Dane came with two meanings, man from Demark, or Honorable. SO I think to myself IF this is another boy we'll just name him Dane. It follows suit, one syllable- four letter name - ending in E, and has a nice meaning.

Here we are 20 weeks+ and we have another boy on the way, a boy who is meant to be here at this time. A boy who has good brothers and a good home to come to. A boy we will name Dane.

15 comments:

Sara said...

Amy that was such a beautiful story. SO interesting that his name came to you in a dream! I love the girl name you chose too, we actually almost named Julia "Vivian".
Baby girls aren't all that great anyway, they SCREAM...A L-O-T. Drives me nuts. In fact, I'm telling Bethany to shut her yapper right this very moment! :)

Alyce Dribnak said...

Don't forget great parents too. Silver lining indeed. Dane will love this story someday, if not his wife will.

Brooke said...

What an amazing experience! I've always wanted to have a really profound dream... but no such luck so far. :) Dane is blessed to be joining such a wonderful family and I'm sure another little boy will be a wonderful blessing for you as well!

kg said...

Dane is one lucky baby, coming to a special family.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put!!! I had the same feelings with Riley. I figured I had awhile since I had twins but the inspiration just kept coming back...then with Lacey It came and I noticed it but still waited months until I acted upon it. So yes I will wait until that feeling comes again and be totally content in the meantime...Well with hopes that feelings doesnt come again. =(

Maybe we will see if David will start getting the feelings. He did once before. I got mine with Riley and then I went to him and he said he had the same feelings weeks before. I asked him, why didnt you say something. He said that it was because I would think it was him and not the Lord. That is soo true. I wish I wasnt soo stubborn. But life is teaching me not to be. =) slowly Best of luck with Dane!

Ben Greenfield said...

What a great experience Amy! Thanks for sharing that!

Michelle said...

What a special and intimate story about your connection with this baby and the whole birthing process. It actually brought tears to my eyes. I think Dane is very fitting too. I love one syllable boy names too. There's just something about them. Plus they work really well when you have a long or unique last name.

I actually started a pregnancy blog because I feel like there is so much information out there and so many things I want to write about, talk about - pregnancy related. It's at www.joyofbirth.blogspot.com. I go in a little more in depth with how the pregnancy is progressing and just post things I find interesting. So you should check it out if you're interested at all. You could probably even add insights since we are pregnant at the same time!

Congrats again! So exciting.

cupcakefitz said...

The Lord has blessed you with another healthy, boy! Congrats! Praise the Lord! Three of a kind is so wonderful. Take it from me. :) Maybe the next one will be a girl?!? I love the dream.

Elizabeth said...

Ok can you write my blog for me so I can read my life written so well? Seriously you are so talented! Such a great story and I am happy that he is healthy and can't wait to see pictures of the cutie.

Vicki said...

Congratulations Amy and family! I like the dream, and your story. Trust me Amy I know EXACTLY the disappointment you feel, and it is OKAY. You're stronger than me though it took me days to feel better. I can say though when I saw Mason for the first time, all that sadness and disappointment went away instantly.
I think a lot of us hate disappointment too. But I just have to say this, "Welcome to the Club" *wink*
Sincerely,
Your understanding friend *smile*

Wendy said...

I remembered you telling me that dream, so when I read that he was a boy, I wondered if you would call him Dane. Very cute name.

bledsoeblog said...

So sweet Amy. Your wording is perfect, the symbol of little Dane's name is so special, and he IS truly blessed to be entering into your family!

Unknown said...

Here's a hug.

Love ya Aim.

emily a. said...

HI Amy,
I loved this story and I'm glad you recorded it for Dane's future story. He is a lucky boy.

C & C said...

That is so touching! Thanks for sharing.