Lanson's grandparents, Mimi and Grandad, were quite a compatible pair. I didn't know them until late in their lives and wish that I could have seen them in their earlier years. But what it came down to in the end was the partnership of the Brain and the Brawn.
Some years back Grandad had a stroke leaving him confined to a wheelchair. Although paralysis kept him from many activities, his mind was keen and nimble. And into his late life he was blessed with mental strength and sharpness.
Mimi, from what I know and experienced, was the sweetest little lady, bright eyed, happy, and just delightful. Although not physically challenged in her late years, she did end up suffering memory lapses that eventaully worsened. Even though her mental capcities decreased and Grandad's physical capcities did as well they had this beautiful trust in each other. It was witnessed on occassion that Mimi and Grandad would be out doing yard work together. Grandad pointing which roses to cut and Mimi doing the clipping.
But like all partnerships not everything was perfect. On occassion it was witnessed something like the following.
Mimi, in her gaeity would say something like, "You know, I truly believe that if you really look, you can find the beauty in things, just about everywhere." Then in a matter of semi moments she might say, "Is that a new sign back there? Isn't that just a nice, clean, readable sign? Max? (Grandad)...Max? Are you listening to me? Max? Can you hear me?..." Then, as if on que, Grandad would stay completely unaware and detached from her, she would then sigh, raise her eyebrows, while lowering her lids and say, "No response!"
Whether he was ignoring her, as Lans tends to believe, or just tuned out. It doesn't really matter and we'll probably never know but it makes for a great family joke. When someone doesn't appear to have heard us, perhaps they're avoiding us, or perhaps they are just unaware but we like to sigh, shake our heads and say, "No response!"
This little memory came to me as I've checked my blog the past week for the winner's of the 5 things contest. One would think if you wanted something fun to do this would be a big hit. Perhaps you're ignoring me, or are just unaware but after 10 days of leaving the post up I am offically closing the contest. Thankyou to the three people who did validate the game! Jenny, Katie and Melanie you are the winners and your prizes will be mailed out soon! Have a great weekend!
6 comments:
That's a cute story about Mimi and Granddad. I had never heard that one before. Sorry there weren't comments on the 5 things. It sounds like a cute idea!
I'm just too lazy to agree to do post it on my blog and make something to send to someone :) So, no...not ignoring you!
I miss Mimi and Granddad and I love that picture we have of Mimi in the yellow shirt pruning the trees--have you ever seen it?
I've only had one response to my gift thing. I look forward to getting what you decide to create!!
I would of commented, but had already done something similar on my blog. But I do love the things you make and am lucky to get them for Christmas and such :) Loved reading and reminiscing about Mimi & Granddad!
I also didn't comment just because I don't post a lot on my blog and didn't want to commit to doing that. Laziness! I also enjoyed the story. It was interesting to read your perspective of them in their later years. They are two of my heroes in life, though I'd never quite thought of Mimi as "the sweetest little lady..." Maybe because she was always taller than me??
ryan and i were totally singed in and ready to post until we realized we didn't even have a blog...
Post a Comment