Monday, January 28, 2008

Sweet Passing of a Beloved Prophet

We were saddened and grateful as we heard the news of President Gordon B. Hinckely's passing yesterday eveing. Our family loves this man with all our hearts. We are grateful for his trust in God that made such an impression in our lives as well as his example of service, desire to learn and grow, love of all mankind, and the realization that you can be more than you are when you become and instrument in the Lord's hands.

On one occassion I had the opportunity to sing in a choir at Rick's College for the prophet Gordon B. Hinckley. At that devotional the Prophet first spoke of his B's, which in future talks he elaborated on and have become a well known sermon among the LDS people.

On a few other occassions Lans and I were able to attend Genreal conference and there be in his presence yet again.

On a very rare occassion we were attending church in the same building as the Prophet's Home Ward. Due to travel plans we were leaving church early to get a start home. As we walked across the foyer toward the stairs down, the Prophet was entering his sacrament meeting. He saw us all and stopped. He waved and asked, "How are you fine people today?" I was surprised at the tears that welled up in my eyes as I realized who he was and that he was speaking to us. We waved back and answered that we were good. Really we were all GREAT, as that was a REAL highlight of that trip. I will never forget how my legs fell to jello and I felt as though I would fall to my knees. That experience was a testimony to me of the Lord's restored gospel to the earth. The Lord has not left us he has prophet's on the earth today to guide and direct us.

May the Hinckley family be buoyed up in this farewell and know our prayers are with them, as they are also with the Apostle's at this time who, I am sure, are feeling a great chasm in their circle of organization.

No comments: