Yesterday I competed in the 16th annual Women's Fitness Celebration; the nations largest Women's 5K event. It poured rain like no other ALL day long, but it was a great experience and one I hope to compete in again and again.I am reminded of a 5k I did with my friend Elizabeth. We'd been religiously fitness walking and were in really good shape to compete in a little March of Dimes 5k. When we started the race we saw two ladies take off RUNNING (who runs in a fitness walk?) So we decided to go after them. When we realized we would never catch them walking we asked an official if you were really allowed to run in a walking race (of course not that would be cheating right?). She said we could...so of course we ran and we won!!! How ridiculous is that. But we enjoyed our glory, all two of us with a couple of volunteers who handed us potted flowers for finishing, while rolling their eyes in disbelief. Anyway, those were good days.
I'm happy to announce that I WALKED my whole race yesterday (Mind you I could have run) and I came in 38th over all and 4th in my division out of 728 fitness "walking/many times running" competitors and surpassed 119 official runner's. So I think I'll start getting a little more serious about preping for these races and see what I can really do. There was an 85 year old gal who finished 10th over all for the walking category. WOW!!! I want to be like her.
http://www.athleteslounge.com/results/event/2377/results.php?p=8
3 comments:
That's awesome! The pictures from the news looked like everyone was sopping wet but excited to be there. Congrats!
Way to go. That is amazing about that 85 year old lady. I only could dream to do that. That would mean I would have to get in a routine before I am old.
That gave me a good laugh remembering that race. Good job for keeping it up!
Post a Comment